On Saturday this little guy had his three month birthday.
I'm not really sure how that happened so quickly.
He went from being this scrawny little newborn:
To this one month old:
To this much bigger 2 month old:
To this 3 month old who looks like an absolute giant:
We pulled down the 6-9 month clothes for him and I very matter of factly told TJ, "These are huge. They're going to drown him." They don't. They fit rather nicely, which makes me think I should also be pulling down the 9-12 month clothes. I'm not sure what this kid is eating, but he is somehow at 15 pounds already (when his cousins born within his same week, both weighing more than him, are both at 12 pounds). I also had to buy size three diapers. Heaven help us.
We celebrated the big day by taking a few hundred pictures.
Part of that is because I'm just making the switch to shooting in manual and since I am still figuring it out I take gobs of pictures hoping one will work.
But the bigger part is because no matter how great the picture is it seems I can never quite capture him.
The way his little knees wrinkle when he straightens his legs.
The way he sticks out his tongue when he's smiling and it's so quick that if you're not watching closely you'll miss it.
The way his chins stack up.
The way he uses his toes so frequently: spreading and curling and clenching and wiggling them in ways I can't even do.
His big blue eyes that are so often wide open, taking the world in. We hear all the time, "He's so alert!" He looks and looks and looks at the world around him.
And really, no camera can capture that.
I'm trying to sear into my memory all these little details and a million other little things, like how he lifts his foot to reach for my arm while he's eating and how he folds his hands in such a darling way that we can't help but call him "Reverent Reed." I love his chunky thighs and the way his hair is curly after a shower.
He has completely captured our hearts.
Sure there have been some long days with a fussy, crying baby who just wants to be held and walked. There have been some rough nights when we are telling him we would really, really like to get some sleep now. But we'd take the hard moments a million times over for all the goodness and fun and joy we're experiencing.
On Saturday night after getting him to sleep we took a few minutes to write down things we love about him, just like he is right now.
My favorite thing lately is the way he kicks his legs: his eyes are wide, his mouth in an o, his arms flailing while those chunky little legs fly as fast as he can make them. It takes so much effort and concentration and it's absolutely adorable.
Reed tells great stories. And when he's tired he tells such sad, sad stories that we can't help but laugh.
He has a distinct cry to request a swaddle. He loves to be swaddled, particularly when he's ready to sleep. After he's asked and we wrap him up tight he stares at us calmly with those big blue eyes wide open and it's as clear as if he said it verbally that he's thanking us.
He loves to be held UP: over the shoulder or facing forward, but he really hates being cradled.
TJ is pretty in love with his happy sigh, which is a bit of a coo, but his big lower lip that he sticks out when he's sad is also very cute. Who knows how he learned to frown so perfectly.
Sometimes when you're looking at him he gets this shy grin on his face and he'll look the other way, like he's being really funny or teasing you.
After a nap he has some pretty epic stretching sessions. His arms go above his head, he spreads his legs out wide or tucks them up to his chest, squirming and wiggling to stretch everything just right.
We keep watching and trying so hard to memorize all these little moments and feelings and smiles and laughs. They are passing far faster than we anticipated. We give thanks to our Heavenly Father every single day for letting us having him in our lives!
What are some of your favorite memories from the babies in your life?
No comments:
Post a Comment