Thursday, August 10, 2017

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Last month we celebrated TJ's brother's birthday.  I anticipated that there would be a gluten-filled cake for dessert (his brother loves the chocolate Nothing Bundt Cake - as do I!) so I thought I better find a gluten free option that I could take so I wouldn't drool at the table!  I did some searching online and found this one from King Arthur Flour.  It comes together really quickly and I really love it with ice cream.  NOTE: this is rich and dense, not a light, fluffy cake (I think to get one of those without flour you need to beat egg whites quite a bit).

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-recipe

Ingredients: 
6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
4 ounces unsalted butter
5.25 ounces sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs
1.5 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process preferred)

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan; cut a piece of parchment paper to fit, grease it, and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
  2. To make the cake: Put the chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the butter is melted and the chips are soft. Stir until the chips melt, reheating briefly if necessary. Transfer the melted chocolate/butter to a mixing bowl.
  3. Stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla.
  4. Add the eggs, whisking briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, and mix just to combine.
  5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
  6. Bake the cake for 20 minutes; the top will have formed a thin crust.  The cake will stay gooey inside.
  7. Remove it from the oven, and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.
  8. Loosen the edges of the pan with a table knife and turn it out onto a serving plate. The top will now be on the bottom; that's fine. Also, the edges will crumble a bit, which is also fine.  Enjoy warm with ice cream or cool completely before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment