Cowboy caviar is a popular and well-known Mexican "dip," but I prefer the red peppers that are in this because they stay crunchy (does anyone else have issues with their tomatoes going mushy after three days in their cowboy caviar?) and it seems to keep the whole thing fresh.
Last time I made this I kept the avocados out and just added them as I ate it: it was a brilliant move, really. They didn't go brown in the bowl and the whole thing seemed to stay fresher.
After you make this a few times you'll figure out how to customize it to your tastes: I don't really measure anything (besides the can of black beans), but just stir things around as I add them to get the ratios we like.
You could be healthy and eat this over quinoa or on a salad, but we most often go through a bag of chips while we munch: I'd highly recommend you do the same.
Mexican Red Pepper Salad
Adapted from Nicole Dom
1 diced avocado
2 lbs frozen corn (or fresh if you can find it!)
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 c. chopped green onions
1 1/4 c. diced red peppers
2 c. fresh chopped cilantro
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Dressing:
1/2 c. lime juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. minced garlic (you can substitute garlic powder if you prefer)
1 tsp. oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad. Mix well.
To avoid the avocado turning brown, add it just as you serve it.
No comments:
Post a Comment