| Forgive me while I try to figure out how on earth to take pictures of food... |
I found these cookies that she posted a couple years ago: I remember seeing them then and thinking, "Huh. Those sound odd. I wonder if we'd like those." I filed the recipe in my recipe binder for a couple years but never pulled them out. Until last month!
Oh, and a funny story: I knew I wanted to restock these in the freezer, but I had no clue how much raw quinoa would equate to 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa. So I made 1 1/2 cups raw, and found out that quinoa quadruples. Yes, quadruples. Thankfully, I only doubled the batch at first and, after pulling out about 117 cookies after six hours, I was so glad I didn't quadruple the cookie recipe too!
| One of two cooling racks filled with cookies. |
Quinoa Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies - Gluten Free
Yield: makes a good amount of cookies, especially when doubled (depending on the size of your cookies, maybe 3-4 dozen per batch)
Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen CafĂ©
INGREDIENTS
- 3/4 cup solid coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup (9.5 ounces) honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (cooked only in water, not broth)*
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds**
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and either line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats. Spoon half of the mix into a blender and blend until it's a flour, then put it back into the bowl with the oats.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil and honey with an electric mixer. Quick note: I have to put the honey in the bowl first and then start beating almost as soon as I pour the coconut oil in otherwise it solidifies. I also add the following ingredients quickly to keep it from getting hard.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Stir in the gluten free flour blend, almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda until just combined and there are some streaks of dry flour remaining.
- Add the oats, oat flour, quinoa, almonds, cranberries, and chocolate chips and mix by hand gently (so the dough stays as light as possible) until everything seems spread throughout the dough.
- Place the dough (balls approximately 2-3 tablespoons large) onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until you are seeing edges that are just browned but the middle is still soft.
NOTE: these freeze beautifully. Just let them cool before bagging. We love grabbing one (or six) out of the freezer during the day.
*Be gentle when you're measuring and mixing the quinoa: don't smash it.
**I've found that the Diamond brand of nuts (available on Amazon) does not process their products on the same equipment as wheat, so that's what I get.
Recipe adapted from Mel at Mel's Kitchen Cafe: I changed the flours to gluten free, decreased the amount of coconut oil, removed the flaxseed and chia seeds, increased the chocolate chips, and switched the oats to be half blended.
**I've found that the Diamond brand of nuts (available on Amazon) does not process their products on the same equipment as wheat, so that's what I get.
Recipe adapted from Mel at Mel's Kitchen Cafe: I changed the flours to gluten free, decreased the amount of coconut oil, removed the flaxseed and chia seeds, increased the chocolate chips, and switched the oats to be half blended.
No comments:
Post a Comment