For Taylor's birthday, Mom Morris made us squash for dinner. I really liked it, so on our weekly grocery trip I thought it would be a great idea to get a squash for dinner - branching out, focusing on vegetables, the whole she-bang. TJ was pretty sure that we had eaten Spaghetti Squash, so we got one.
Yesterday morning I cut the squash open (cutting the countertop in the process :P) and put it into the baking dish, just like Mom's. But it was the wrong color (very pale yellow, almost white, and the one we had was deep orange) - first sign that something was wrong.
Mom said to bake it for about 30 minutes at 375, or until tender. So we threw it in the oven at 8 (the time we got home last night!) and waited for our delicious dinner. At 8:30 the squash still crunched. At 8:45 we decided to try it anyway - it was awful. Really, really awful. Even by 9:15 it was still hard and even after microwaving!
The most incredible part, though, is that it does look like spaghetti! We never ate squash at home growing up, so this idea of squash is totally novel for me. This squash looks like a pile of noodles and it comes apart that way when you eat it!
Maybe worth the excitement of having spaghetti in a skin, but the taste and the time was not really that great!
Oh bummer. Spaghetti squash is Ok, but butternut squash is the best. Just make sure you put lots of butter and salt on it. Butter and salt...yum...Sometimes I think I sould just leave out the squash. Love you Rach!
ReplyDeleteRachel!! You got married! Congratulations! I have to thank you so much for the post you left me - it was so sweet of you to give me some proven advice. I'm definitely feeling a lot of anxiety over the move but you're right - I KNOW the church will be there and that is what's holding me together :) I am also looking forward to becoming the 'card maker'. That is the best idea! I hadn't thought of that at all and I just know that advice is an answer to a prayer. It sounds like Spain brought some challenging experiences for you but I am so grateful I can benefit from the knowledge you've gained. Thank you for always sharing your kind words and loving heart! I guess the years will never change you from the wonderful friend that you have always been. You are amazing Rachel. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Rachelelelel... look at you all domestic and stuff! It's good to keep tabs on you now that I have your blog!!
ReplyDelete