We've made a conscientious effort to make walking a regular part of our family culture. When TJ and I were engaged I would frequently invite him to go walk with me - there's a fabulous park with a walking path halfway between our parents' houses - and I think he turned me down every time. :) After we got married he started joining me on my walks and, after a while, came to love them: it's so relaxing and rejuvenating to be out in nature. It's a great way to have conversations. It just feels good to move your body and it's a nice way to spend time without being tied to devices.
So we've made it a high priority to make sure Reed is comfortable being in his stroller for long walks (60-90 minutes) since he was born. After we returned from the hospital (he was born via c-section) we started putting him in his stroller at 6 days old and walking down the street, just a few houses at a time, as I built up strength and stamina. We've walked hundreds of miles now as a family and even taken Reed with us on many runs.
But sometime in the past few months we got out of the habit of walking. It was probably a combination of issues: TJ being in the bishopric, starting teaching school, the days getting shorter, morning sickness then sciatic pain, then frigid temperatures. I realized I was missing walking a couple months ago and tried to resume, but it was super cold and Reed would pull his mittens and blanket off again and again, then sob because he was so cold.
Finally we've found the appropriate cold-weather outfit for him to wear: snow pants (that I can't get over - I love how chubby his legs look and how he waddles when he wears them), fur-lined boots that he has asks to wear all the time, a warm coat with a hood he can't pull off, and mittens so long they stay tucked into his coat.
Today marks the third consecutive day we've bundled up and headed outside for our walk. He's been so happy to go! I love that he doesn't cry when we put on his mittens and he walks right to the garage door when it's time to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment