Friday, November 12, 2010

A Touching Teacher

Every once in a while I feel lucky enough to have a fabulous teacher - you know the kind, the ones that can hold your attention for a 4-hour lecture (literally), that have you watching every step they take as they wander the room and that make you laugh between the moments of silent thoughfulness. Perhaps the greatest sign, for me, of an impressive professor is one that still has me mulling over the material when I leave the classroom.

Last night I started my "Managing and Leading in High Performance Organizations" class with Dr. Abe Bakhsheshy - he is an absolutely fabulous professor. His dialogue is rich, his passion for teaching and knowledge runs deep, and he is truly a subject-matter expert. He carries the class with him through anecdotes, research, and examples. He calls every student by name, though there are 70 of us, and asks probing, thoughtful questions. He taught us about true leaders last night and kept me thinking long after I left the classroom.

I admire fabulous teachers. I love being able to soak up all that they have to give; professors like Dr. Abe remind me how lucky I am to be in school.

4 comments:

  1. He knows all 70 of your names? That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and even more impressive is that he knows all the names for the 7 classes he teaches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you Rach, glad you have such an awesome teacher! He sounds like a rare one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not believe he knows everyone's name - that's so impressive. I'm really happy with this post! 1) I love how positive you are in your life. Focusing on a great professor, being grateful for the opportunity to learn, and recognizing the blessing of having a wonderful professor are brilliant ways to have "an attitude of gratitude."

    2) I love how dedicated you are to the things you are doing in your life. You and ONLY you have the focus to handle so many things at once but do each thing with your whole heart.

    I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete