Thursday, July 11, 2019

Biggest Smile

It's an interesting thing to watch a baby grow.  Each day I look at Holland and I look at Reed and wonder how he went from her size to his size so quickly.  What an incredible, crazy miracle that these tiny humans grow physically, learn so quickly, develop mentally, and become their own little person.  

It seems like every stage with Reed I think "Oh, this is so fun - I never could've anticipated the million little things he does and says that make me laugh," and then a month later, as we enter a new phase, I think that same thing again.  To date, both TJ and I have found a whole lot to enjoy in each phase.  

Don't get me wrong - there are absolutely times when I think I'm going to blow up in just one more minute (like when he threw a shoe at my face from point blank this morning...)  But there are so many more endearing moments, like the times he just wants comfort and thinks he'll feel that best by having his cheek squeezed against mine, his soft skin held tightly on my face as he says "Mommy, right here."  

Since he was teeny tiny Reed has been a pretty serious kid.  He's a thinker.  He studies things out.  He watches other kids for quite a while before he joins them.  He squats down to the ground and stares at something, then takes it apart to figure it out ("Mommy - did it!").  He just isn't one of the giggly, smiley kids - which is totally fine!  But how I love to see him smile.  :)  He does smile - and often - just not constantly.  

A few days ago I thought I'd see if I could get him to smile by challenging him to give me his "biggest smile."  He consented and then tried his hardest to meet my request to smile, "Bigger!  Bigger!"  :)  The pictures I got sure make ME smile.  My biggest.





No comments:

Post a Comment