Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Waffles, Swimming, a Rash, and Adjusting

12.5 hours after leaving home yesterday, we made it to Scottsdale.  There were several times during that drive that I tried to calculate whether it would be faster to keep going to Scottsdale or just to turn around and go home.  That probably tells you enough about the drive.  :)

We started today at Daily Jam, one of our favorite restaurants we found when we came down in February.  That place is fantastic: voted best waffles in the state by The Food Network, and - best of all - those waffles just happen to be gluten free.  HALLELUJAH.  As usual I had my Greek omelet, TJ had his breakfast tacos, and between the three of us we put down two plates of waffles with strawberries and cream.  We sat outside and Reed loved watching the birds, getting especially enthusiastic when one was on the "table!"  





After what seemed like nine years of getting ready (putting on sunscreen, getting all four of us changed, packing towels and diapers and hats, feeding Holland, etc.) we made it to the pool.  I put my foot in and let out a bit of a squeal: so darn cold!  We went in anyway (at least three of us - Holland flatly refused after having one toe touch the water.  Instead she slept).  Reed walked around the whole pool about a dozen times - his cute little floatie bobbing as he ran - and was having a ball kicking his feet in the deep end with either TJ or me.  

Once Reed saw both TJ and me swimming IN the pool he eventually came in.  Once he was used to the cool water he loved it.  He stood on the side and jumped in to us over and over again, counting to a different number each time so we never quite knew when to expect him: sometimes five, sometimes two, sometimes nothing but a quick jump.  He was cold enough to be shivering but did not want swim time to end.









After naps we went to Los Sombreros for dinner and holy smokes.  It did not disappoint.  How are we supposed to decide where to eat tomorrow?  There are so many fantastic places it is getting hard to choose.  And that is why we came to Scottsdale.  :)  I sure wish we had more GF options in Salt Lake.  It's fun to be here.

Reed has broken out with a strange rash on his face and behind his ears.  Big red spots.  At first I feared I had done a poor job with the sunscreen on his face (we got the stick kind and today was our first time using it), but he went on a walk with TJ tonight and came home with more spots than he left with, so now we're a bit uncertain.  You might think bug bites, but they're only on his head though he went out walking with shorts and a t-shirt on and didn't get any bites on his arms or legs.  ???  Nurse Eileen suggested some Benadryl which we're hoping has the side effect of helping him sleep all night (is that terrible??)  I sure hope it's all cleared up by morning.

  


Also, this is just real life with a newborn.  Well, at least this newborn.  Poor girl.


I have to remind myself that we're still adjusting to being a family of four (this is our first vacation all together!)  I've shifted my expectations to just understand that it will always take 40-60 minutes to get out the door.  It also feels like we've packed a suitcase in the diaper bag.  One day I'll look back and laugh that two kids was a struggle, but it is really taking some adjusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment