Sunday, July 5, 2015

Elliana Ava Peterson

On Christmas morning we were gathered at Mama and Papa's house, gleefully opening presents.  As usual, we were delighted to have the Petersons arrive: it seems they always bring such a fun spirit with them.  After they opened their gifts Jeff said that Tanner had something to say: I assumed he was going to tell everyone about his favorite present or an exciting trip they were going to go on.  Instead he grinned and announced "My mom has a baby in her tummy!"  And then there was screaming -  oh, so much screaming.  Mary and Jeff are such fabulous parents that I have been delighted another child will be blessed by their guidance and love.  Her due date?  July 1.  My birthday.

On Tuesday, June 2, Mary's sweet friends threw her a lovely shower in Alpine.  Because I am not so great at decorating and presentation, I was especially impressed with how cute everything was!  The tablecloths, the napkins, the fresh flowers on the tables, the beautiful quilts hanging on a clothesline: it was really gorgeous.  And do you see those individual pies? They were one of the best things I've ever eaten.  Really, truly delightful!

The tables:

Beautiful Anna and Emma (Anna is 14 and Emma is 12).

Anna's phone is linked to her parents' phones, so when Mary downloaded a pregnancy app in October, Anna could see it.  Bless her soul, she didn't say a word.  Emma was getting so worried about Mary being sick and one day said to Anna, "Anna, do you think Mom's okay?"  Anna responded (this is so sweet), "Yes.  Emma, don't tell, but Mom's pregnant!"  Those cute little girls waited for Mary and Jeff to tell them, knowing the secret all along!


Tiny - isn't she beautiful?

Emma is trying so hard to open her eyes.  Those darn allergies. 

Ah, sunglasses - that's much better.  :)


And here is Mary, looking barely pregnant. 



The Mama Hen!

Lexi was so darn excited for every single gift.  She tore it open, held it up, grinned, said "ooooh!" and put it on the table.  Those gifts never got old for her.

Mary's shower was on Tuesday morning, 4 weeks before her due date.

However, when she went to her check-up that week, the doctor told her that he was worried her amniotic fluid was low and the placenta was breaking down.  He sent her home with the terrible instructions, "If anything changes in how the baby is moving, come immediately to the hospital.  You're at high risk of a stillborn."  What do you do with news like that?!?  Well, she didn't sleep all Wednesday night, worried about her little baby.  On Thursday, her regular doctor was back in town and called her in to see her.  He too was worried about the baby, so told her, "You can go home to pack a bag but I want you to go right to the hospital to monitor the baby.  If anything changes, we'll take her c-section, but if you do okay overnight, we'll induce you in the morning."  Oh, how many prayers we prayed over that day and night and the following day.

There were lots of worries about the baby being too small and lungs not developed.  So many things can go wrong during pregnancy and delivery, it makes me feel extra grateful for all those that go smoothly.

Friday morning they induced Mary and she and Elle held up like champs.  Late Friday afternoon Elliana made her appearance, tipping the scale at just exactly five pounds.  As yet another miracle, her lungs were fully developed and they were able to go home Sunday without any stay in the NICU.

Paige was watching the other five Petersons and begged Mary and Jeff right after delivery "The kids won't stop screaming - can we please come see her??"  Here she is with Tanner and beautiful, perfect, tiny little Elle.
 

It felt like all I could do to wait a day to go visit.  We went down on Saturday.  I can't get over how TINY she is.  Jeff had to do some emergency shopping for premie diapers and clothes since none of the newborn would fit!

(As a darling sidenote here, Lexi asked me last week, "Wachel, have you seen Elle's dipows?  They awe teensy!!"  :)  She held up her little hands to show how tiny Elle's bum is.  I about died of cuteness.)

 

Trying so hard to open her eyes. 

Poor TJ gets so nervous holding babies, but he does a great job!  I think with all these nieces and nephews he's starting to get used to it.  :)


Check out those tiny, tiny feet.  My heavens.


My beautiful sister after several sleepless nights.  Isn't she gorgeous?

Tiny - completely in love.

I have loved sneaking down to their house a few times to see them.  Don't they look happy?

I hope to someday be even a fraction of the mother Mary is.  I'm so grateful for her incredible example: she truly LOVES being a mom, and I love that about her.  She is fabulous with all her kids - so grateful she has another one to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment